Monday 9 April 2012

Easter Baking Recommendations

So, as the Easter weekend comes to an end I wanted to give you all a review on the new recipes I used; some were flawless other's needed a bit of work. So here goes my first blog post:


Carrot Cake:
I always love to try new recipes and thinking of the Easter Bunny I decided to attempt a carrot cake. I had heard of the Joy of Baking website before and heard good reviews, so I decided to give their recipe a go. I also enjoyed the fact that a video was included; as I always find seeing the texture and consistency of the batter, icing, etc. helps me immmensely when i'm trying things for the first time.

The recipe, which I linked below, was FANTASTIC! The batter was smooth and fragrant, and the cakes came out prefectly risen and I had no trouble removing them from the pans. I made the cakes the day before then assembled them the next day so they were fully cooled, I did; however, only make half of the icing recipe. I did this because my famiy doesnt like pounds of icing and I also don't like when you can only taste the icing of a cake. Overall, this recipe was a 9/10.
http://www.joyofbaking.com/CarrotCake.html

Egg Custard:
This recipe I found on Epicurious, I was a little hesitent at first to use an American Egg Custard recipe as I am used to English one's passed down through my family. But, I was up to giving it a go.

This recipe was excellent the custard set perfectly and everyone enjoyed the taste. I decided to make two pies, so I doubled the recipe. I ended up with tons of custard, I ended up having enough to make around four pies! So, I would say if you were looking for two regular sized pies one recipe will be plenty.

PS don't add the food colouring I found no need the pie was yellow enough for me.
Overall, 9/10
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandmas-egg-custard-pie/

No comments:

Post a Comment